Refunding a UK train ticket
The following information relates to standard refund requests if you want to cancel the ticket
Which tickets can I refund?
Flexible tickets (Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak and Anytime tickets)
These types of tickets can be refunded online for a fee.
You have 28 days from expiry of the ticket to request a refund and return your ticket. If you have a mobile ticket and it has already been activated, you can no longer claim a refund on that journey.
Advance Single ticket
Advance Single tickets cannot be refunded but they can be changed.
Changes are only allowed for a different time/date of travel, so you need to stick to the same departure and arrival stations. Visit this page for more information on changing.
How to request a refund online
- Find the booking you wish to cancel on our website in My Bookings
- Click on "Manage my booking"
- Select 'Refund tickets' then "Request refund"
Refunds can take an average of 3-5 days to process. You can check the status of your refund in your business account.
Here's a guide to what the statuses mean.
- Refunded/ Refund Approved - You've done everything you need to and your refund is on the way back to you, it will appear in your account within 5 days.
- Refund Processing/ Refund - Action Required – Before we can process your refund we may need you to return your tickets.
- Refund Rejected– We’re unable to refund your tickets. This could be because you've scanned your eticket or activated your Mobile Ticket.
Refunds for delayed or cancelled trains
Refund for a cancelled train
If your train is cancelled, you can use your existing ticket to travel on the next available service.
Advance Singles – hop on the next available train with the same train operator.
Flexible tickets – such as Off-Peak and Anytime tickets offer flexibility and you can travel at various times of the day.
Remember to check the conditions of your ticket in case you can only travel with a certain operator/route.
If you can't take the next train or decide not to travel, you’ll be entitled to a refund.
The quickest and easiest way to refund your ticket is to do it online. Login to Account, select your booking, and click on refund tickets.
Compensation for a delayed train
If your train was delayed but you still managed to complete your journey then a ticket refund is not available. However the train operators themselves do offer compensation. Please see this article on how to claim compensation.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback